Friday, January 6, 2012

The Challenge and being real...


I was challenged this week to write a short story.  The idea was daunting at first.  I wrote my last short story back in college, and it simultaneously won an award in a church teen talent writing competition and was ridiculed by my college creative writing class as having too happy of an ending.  What a strange duel response to the same story.  But I used to dish out sap back then, so the story was probably feel good enough to have "Walking on Sunshine" playing at the ending words for all I can remember.  My eyes are wider these days.  There is good and bad in everything- in each of us- and I want my stories to reflect that idea, lest we all try to pretend to be something we are not.  I know I am a chief sinner every single day.  I have experienced forgiveness for my soul, and drown deep in grace daily.  But I am not who I want to be.  Not yet, probably not ever in this life. There is hope in that though, the newness of do-overs and second chances, yes?   I have started my short story.  It is refreshing and new in a way I haven't written before.  I am excited for its process and outcome.  I am thankful for the people in my life that challenge and encourage me to be the best of who I truly am inside...the writer. 

Do you have a challenge you are working toward right now?   What hard thing are you facing that you know will make you more YOU on the other side, if you will just get it started?  Embrace it- take one step today.  I am cheering you on, and I hope you will do the same for me. 

Back to the story...

*Note- The picture above is the cover of a selection of short stories by one of my favorite female authors, Flannery O'Conner.  I discovered her works in the creative writing class I mentioned above.  Her works are not for everyone, as the mirror she holds up reflects an accurate and disturbing view of humanity, especially the self-inflated.  But I find her voice and her intent inspiring. 





 

No comments: