Tuesday, March 20, 2012

We can feel so far from so close...

Rethinking everything.


I've loved Mat Kearney since Bullet released in 2004. That album was fresh and his sound was unlike any I'd heard before.  He's had songs on many TV shows, including Vampire Diaries, Bones, NCIS and 30 Rock.  I have been known to put his albums on shuffle repeat for days because his music is so impressive to me.

I love his latest song- Ships in the Night.  It's simple and deep. I just heard it playing consecutively on three different radio stations here in Denver- WayFM, Alice 105.9 and KIMN 100.3.  Love the love he's getting.  He is musical genius.

This latest song has thoughtful lyrics.  I can't get them out of my brain to be honest.  Relationships are struggle, that's for sure.  They are good ugly comforting painful joyful peaceful confusing exhilarating contentment despairing deep beautiful, such breathtaking beauty sometimes at the most painful places.  We are all still figuring them out- how they function and how we function in them.  How not to break each others' hearts.

"Feels like we're learning this out on our own
Trying to find a way down the road we don't know..."

Sometimes we are so fake about the places we find ourselves in... ignoring all we don't know how to fix.

But we are all broken with confusing how do we make this better parts, yes?  Honest says it's not better or worse than what I imagine, and with eyes wide open I say this is what it is...AND I am here willing to figure this thing out together.  Choosing to be emotionally messy and vulnerable with another human being with as many faults failures insecurities fears hopes dreams purpose  potential as all inside me too.

Love doesn't shun the ugly broken bleeding scarred and hiding...it embraces and says This is me alsoLet's walk this out together, I'm here, not going anywhere...to never leave or forsake.  I still get stuck a little at that last part every time, even if God did say it first.  It remains so tough for me to comprehend on a heart level.  But to me that is genuine committed love with its eyes wide open. 

I do not have the solutions...all the working results of my words... figured out.  Not even close.  And my words might be naive.  But what if two people, the two equal parts of any relationship, believed and lived them?  Day and night through all dark and easy places? Of course it would take two...two people, two equal parts, working struggling living out those words equally for them to make any difference.  But what if they did?  What if it changed the future?

Like I said, rethinking everything.

Here's the song.  I hope you enjoy it and it makes you think as much as it has me.  I am posting the lyrics after the video link because they are important.  

Peace.

(By the way, that picture at the top is of Mat and his wife Annie. )


"Ships In The Night"

Like ships in the night
You keep passing me by
We're just wasting time
Trying to prove who's right
And if it all goes crashing into the sea
If it's just you and me
Trying to find the light

Like ships in the night letting cannon balls fly
Say what you mean and it turns to a fight
Fist fly from my mouth as it turns south
You're down the driveway... I'm on the couch

Chasing your dreams since the violent 5th grade
Trying to believe in your silent own way
Cause we'll be ok... I'm not going away
Like you watched at fourteen as it went down the drain

And pops stayed the same and your moms moved away
How many of our parents seem to make it anyway
We're just fumbling through the grey
Trying find a heart that's not walking away

Turn the lights down low
Walk these halls alone
We can feel so far from so close

  Chorus

And I'm at the airport waiting on a second plane
Had to pack and you had cramps and I was late
Headed to a red carpet they won't know my name
Riding in silence all that we wanna say

About to board when you call on the phone
You say "I'm sorry. I'll be waiting at home"
Feels like we're learning this out on our own
Trying to find a way down the road we don't know

Turn the lights down low
Walk these halls alone
We can feel so far from so close

  Chorus

And I'm gonna find my way
Back to your side
And I'm gonna find my way
Back to your side

  Chorus





No comments: